In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson Gazetteer of England Wales described Churcham like this:
CHURCHAM, a village in Westbury-on-Severn district, and a parish in Westbury-on-Severn and Gloucester districts, Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Severn, and the Gloucester and Hereford railway, 3¼ miles NE by E of Grange-Court r. station, and 4¼ W by S of Gloucester; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish includes also the hamlets of Over, Linton, and Highnam. Acres, 4, 264. Real property, £8, 261. Pop., 1, 002. Houses, 192. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bulley, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £386.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is modern, and has a beautiful spire. The p. curacy of Highnam is separate. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.