Services at Churcham are usually 9.30am, but there are variations, so it is worth checking the Forest Edge News or the website for the Forest Edge group of churches. On fifth Sundays, about four times a year, all the churches join up for a single service at 10.30am, and sometimes this is followed by a lunch together. Ample Parking is available in the Church car park opposite the church.
History of the church
The Church dates back to 1050 A.D., Before the Normans.
The Nave, Chancel arch, and lower part of the tower are the original pre-Norman works.
The windows are early English and Perpendicular, but the stone work of the old Norman windows is very noticeable on the outside of the building.
The present spire and nave roof were built where the old thatch roof caught fire on the 26th of Oct in 1875. Marks of the fire are still visible in the present east window in the chancel.
The piscina is in the south wall of nave close to the sanctuary and the pulpit. It was discovered during some restoration work in 1914. It has a small water drain were the priest can empty any water that is used.
The font was destroyed in the fire when part of the roof fell on it, but some of the stone work did survive. You can still see the remains of the font in the churchyard.
The old carved stone over the top of the north door on the outside is older than the actual church itself, as it was incorporated into the church when it was built.
Private Henry Hook V.C. is buried in the churchyard.