Services at Bulley are usually at 11am, but there are variations so it is worth checking the Services page or The Forest Edge News. On fifth Sundays, about four times a year, all the churches join up for a single service at 10.30am, and sometimes this is followed by a lunch together. The church has no car park so worshippers and visitors need to park carefully at the side of the road.
History of the church
The church was built on Saxon foundations, and the style is mainly Norman and Early English with Victorian additions. The turret which contains one bell is tiled in wooden shingles, whilst the remainder of the roof is clad with clay tiles. The ancient south entrance door which is framed by a fine Norman arch with its alternate dark and light stones still has its old strap hinges and ring latch and is interesting for the eight quaint peepholes. The Nave has its Norman windows set high in the ancient walls, the two north windows still retain traces of medieval red painted chevrons on the masonry returns. The massive Norman chancel Arch has similar design features to the entrance doorway Arch with its fine zig-zag light and dark stones supported by plain round columns crowned with scalloped capitals.
The chancel was rebuilt in 1839 almost entirely at the expense of the vicar the Rev. George Charles Hall, the East aspects of the church were built to a lower roofline than the originals which must have been lost before the publication of The history of the county of Gloucester in 1803.